A labor of love

One of my biggest thrills in life is planning out my menu for the week. What I'm going to feed to my husband. How I'm going to "wow" him in the kitchen. When we first got married, we each got the constant "Hey! How's married life treating you?" questions. His answer made me so happy. "She feeds me really well!" Music to my ears. I LOVE cooking for him, my family, his family, whoever really. I love to hear "Oh wow, you made this?!" It makes my day.
Usually the term 'labor of love' refers to something someone does because they love the person they are doing it for but don't necessarily love the task. In this case, I love the people and the task.
Cooking is calming for me, gratifying and therapeutic. I'll admit, there are times I've tried recipes that ended up...well...not as appealing as I'd hoped. Those times are more stressful than they are calming. But, more times than not, it's a very peaceful time for me.
Which brings me to my post today. I'm going to attempt to share my menus for the week from time to time. Some weeks are less than exciting so I'll keep those to myself. Every week, without fail, my friend Megan at Signs of Autumn, and I share our weekly menus with each other. It' my favorite time of the week. I don't know why.
This week, I've got three nights planned out. Wednesday night is girl's night so no cooking that night. And Friday night is date night (Yay!) so we'll be eating out then too. Weekends are usually nights we wing it.

Ok, so tonight I'm trying my hand at Carb Free Lasagna that I found here...No Carb Lasagna

                                                        *Picture used from Dashing Dish*
                                                      http://dashingdish.com/recipe/no-noodles-about-it-the-best-low-carb-lasagna-ever/

Tomorrow night, I'm making what is probably my very most favorite at home Asian dish ever. It's a Thai chicken stir fry. I'm probably going to devote an entire blog to it later this week so I'll keep that recipe to myself for now.
Then Thursday is burger night. We usually do turkey burgers, but I decided to get some low fat beef this week since I'm using ground turkey in my lasagna recipe tonight. To make my burgers super yummy, I always add some Worcestershire sauce and Montreal steak seasoning. We love to top our burgers with avocado and chipotle mayo. Best. Burger. Ever. As a side, we'll be grilling up some corn on the cob. I wrap each cleaned corn cob in foil after I've applied some extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Stick em on the grill and let the heat do it's magic. That corn comes out perfect every time.

That's it for our week this time! I did find this fun idea on Pinterest that makes my menu planning even more fun.

That fun little thing is our menu board. It hangs above the kitchen sink. I used pretty scrapbook paper to print the "Hey Good Lookin, What Ya Got Cookin?" and the days of the week. Then I framed it, and I write on the glass every week with a dry erase marker. The hubby likes knowing what to expect and I like not getting the "what's for dinner" question all the time!




Link Party!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken Stir Fry

Father's day

Menu Monday