Father's day

Each year we celebrate dads. We all have our own stories of what makes our dad's the "best dad on the planet". I'm blessed that God created my dad just for me and my brother. My dad was God's perfect design for the man He intended to raise us here on earth to live in His word and do His works. I am thankful every day of my life that my dad is exactly who he is. I'm sure that all of our dads have qualities that may annoy us. (Mine jokes incessantly with anyone and everyone he meets whether the unsuspecting victim understands his humor or not...mom is always super proud..hehe) But, I wouldn't trade my joke cracking daddy for anyone on earth. My dad is my hero, my supporter and my friend. I'm so proud of his time he spent defending our country as a crew chief in the United States Air Force during Vietnam. I'm so proud of the years and years he spent working in corporate America earning a living for our family. I'm proud of the leadership he provided our family in taking us to church and teaching us what God expects of us.


A few of my favorite memories with my dad:
- Curling up in his recliner with him when I was a little girl and watching National Geographic because we both love animals.
- Being taught which sports teams we support: Miami Dolphins, Carolina Tarheels and the Atlanta Braves.
- The serpent. (Which was really his hand that would "get me" if I didn't get away fast enough)
- Hearing the pride in his voice whenever he talks about my brother or me.
- The look on his face when I sing.
- Dancing with him at my wedding.



- Our shared love of Italian food.
- Times we spent playing with Lady, our family dog.
- Watching him with my niece and nephew and seeing the joy they bring to his life.


Those are just a few. I do have to share my favorite and least favorite memory of my dad. They are the same one. But, let me back up a minute...

The time in your life that you realize your parents won't live forever changes you. It breaks your heart and soul a little. That time in my life came when my dad underwent open heart surgery. Three days after my wedding. It was a planned procedure that he wanted to put off until after my wedding so that he would be sure he could walk me down the aisle. Obviously, I was terrified and lost the day he called me and told me he needed the surgery. He had to have a valve replacement. Now, I do realize that open heart surgery is not a new thing and not uncommon. But, this was my daddy. Not just anyone. So, we planned the wedding, made it through everything and all the while had this day looming over us. The day came and I went to the hospital to see him beforehand. I could barely look at him before the surgery. I didn't want to cry in front of him because I felt like he needed me to be strong. It was probably the hardest thing I'd ever had to do. A part of me worried that I might be saying 'goodbye' to him instead of 'see you soon'. I think everyone worries about that sort of thing when a loved one has serious surgery.
My family was all there waiting with us. My dad's brothers, their wives, my husband, and of course my mom and brother and his family. It was probably the longest day of my life. I just wanted his surgeon to come through the doors and tell us "he did great!" But that moment seemed to never come. FINALLY, we were told that the surgery was over and dad was in recovery. Thank the Lord! I just wanted to see my dad and talk to him and hug him. Little did I know, the cardiac ICU was my own personal house of horrors. I wasn't prepared. I walked in and saw my dad laying in the bed. He was hooked up to more machines that I thought  one person could possibly need. There was a tube down his throat and I could see the huge scar down his chest that was still very fresh. It made me feel helpless. I didn't expect it. Of course, people tried to tell me that it would be somewhat gruesome, but I guess I just didn't realize...Now, to someone in the medical field, I'm sure it was all very normal and text book. My brother, the paramedic, knew exactly what to expect. And on some level, I think I would have felt differently if this had been someone other than my dad. But, all in an instant, my life shifted. My dad would not be with me forever. Which also made me realize, neither would my mom. That's a sobering thought. In the several days to follow, I went to work, then to the hospital and then home to my brand new husband. Over and over. Day after day. I didn't want to be anywhere but at the hospital. I felt like I should be staying at my parent's house so my mom wouldn't be alone. Then I felt guilty for wanting to be away from my husband. It was an extremely emotional time. My point in reliving all of this is to explain how precious my dad is to me. It took quite a while for my dad to feel like himself again, but, today he is still with us and I can hear his new mechanical valve when I listen for it. I like to say it lets me know he's still ticking. One day, he'll go home to be with our Savior. Until then, I plan to cherish the time I have with my biggest fan. I know my dad is reading this so, daddy, I love you more than words could ever express. I'm thankful for you and I pray for you. I thank God every day for you. Thank you for everything you do for your family.



Comments

  1. I Love you very much too and will never forget the Love you have for me and your Family.

    Love DAD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken Stir Fry

Menu Monday