For every time there is a season

Today was a special day. The apple of my eye, my heart and soul, the boy who changed my life, my sweet nephew Caleb graduated from Kindergarten today. I really thought I'd be a total baby and start a sob fest in the middle of his cute little school. Thankfully, I remained composed the entire time. I thought I'd take a minute to tell the world about this special boy.

Caleb Andrew was born on Christmas Eve in 2005.





When my brother and sister-in-law told me I was going to be an Aunt, I didn't think I would ever be that happy again. I cried big ugly tears. But, I was wrong. The intense joy, pride and awe I felt when I first saw his face made time stand still. Everyone tells me when I have my own children, my love for them will be even more intense. I can't imagine. I would do absolutely anything for this boy. I want him to never be in pain, never know what loss feels like, never be excluded or feel insecure. Of course, all of these things come with life. I can't help what he will undoubtedly face in his life. But, the thought of him ever not being 100% happy absolutely breaks my heart.
Caleb is 6 now. I wouldn't say that he is a perfect child. None of them are. But, he's perfect to me. Nor would I say "he does no wrong". I just choose to overlook it most of the time.  ;-)

Now, a little information about Caleb. He is hilarious. His sense of humor gets to everyone. He is extremely headstrong. Which at this point in his life probably does him more bad than good but I'm sure it'll help him later in life. Caleb is loving. Let me give you an example. Kaitlyn was born February 3, 2011. Kaitlyn is Caleb's little sister. We were all worried he would feel jealous, maybe even complain about not being an only child anymore. We were so wrong. He claims her as "his baby". He loves her with all his little heart. And it's painfully obvious that Kaitlyn adores her big brother. Her little face lights up as soon as she sees him. It's precious. I could write for days about her too but this is Caleb's moment.




I try to spend a lot of time with my little buddy. He and I went to ride go carts recently. He tried to be cool and not act too excited but you could see his grin get bigger and bigger all day. Moments with him are so precious to me. I'm sure the day is coming that hanging out with your Aunt won't be cool anymore. I just pray that he always knows I'm here for him. There is a song by Francesca Battistelli that reminds me of him. The words to the chorus are "I'll be the angel by your side. I will get you through the night. I'll be the strength you can't provide on your own. Cause when you're down and out of time and you think you've lost the fight, let me be the angel, the angel by your side".

Caleb wouldn't understand those words now. He'd think I was nuts if I tried to explain them. I just want him to always know how important he is to me. How smart and handsome he is. That he's worth so much. That he is a beloved child of God. I want him to know he'll never be alone. And he's been made to do great things. He is such a huge miracle and blessing. I'll be forever grateful for his life.


                                                       Today at graduation


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken Stir Fry

Father's day

Menu Monday