Beauty day!

So, in my past life, I was a full time makeup artist, esthetician and business owner. Yes. All three rolled in to one. I owned a cosmetics studio and spa from age 22-26. Before that, I worked in a cosmetic studio and went to school to get my esthetics license. It's all a far cry from what I do for a living now but it's still a big part of my life. I still give the occasional facial and I stay in the loop by doing makeup for weddings and proms here and there. My studio was a Merle Norman Cosmetics studio and I still use their products pretty much exclusively for myself and anyone I provide service to. I firmly stand behind their products. I have never had problems with my skin and I attribute that to years of faithfulness to MN.
Anyway, that brings me to my topic for today.
I recently had a friend who asked on Facebook what people's favorite brand of drugstore makeup was. She's trying to save some money and go that route.
I heard this ALL THE TIME when I had my studio. People actually came in and asked me "If I were to get ____ product at the drugstore, what is most similar to what I'd buy here?" The first few times I was appalled and annoyed. Then, I realized they valued my opinion and trusted me to be honest with them. Honestly, I've never been a fan of drugstore makeup. I bought an entire studio full of luxury makeup to prove it. In my freshman and sophomore years of high school, I dabbled in Cover Girl, Almay and Wet n Wild just like the next girl. I even worked at CVS/Pharmacy for a while so I had access to it all. What did I discover? Ew. Nothing stayed on, I NEVER found the right foundation color and my eyes looked like a raccoon by the end of the day. Granted, this was about 12 years ago so I'm sure those brands have improved by now. Right?
Anyway, back to my customer's question. If it were 100% necessarily for me to buy more affordable makeup, what would I get? To be real with you, I would NEVER buy drug store foundation or powder ever again. For the simple fact that I know it will end up costing me the same in the end. How? Because it takes more product to get the same coverage and look as my brand. And it doesn't stay on as long. It's too diluted. Trust me, I've done my research. Years of it. IF I was forced, I may try drugstore mascara, shadow or liner. I feel like those are products I could learn to live with. Nail polish? I've got everything from OPI to Sally Hanson in my nail kit. I figure as long as I like the color, I don't really care how long it stays on. The only polish I've decided I probably won't buy again is Essie. Maybe I'm buying the wrong colors, but, it takes too many coats to get the look I want and it ends up peeling super fast. Those products aside, my skin care, foundation, powder and blush will remain what is categorized as "luxury brands". Foundation is too important to "guess" your color, formula or finish. Powder, well I'm just addicted to Merle Norman's Ultra Powder. The coverage and wearability is amazing and nothing else could compare. And blush? Who wants to go around looking like a clown? I'd rather be able to try on my blush than guess and end up looking like Mimi.
One of the awesome things about Merle Norman is you can try on anything you'd like with no pressure to buy it. Try it out, wear it around (for free) and decide on your own time. Granted, some sales associates may make you feel like you're required to buy. You're not. It's your money and your face. You choose.
As a disclaimer, I'm sure that there are fabulous products available at drug stores. If there weren't, no one would ever buy them. I'm just speaking from my own experience. So, go out there and look your best no matter what your budget is. Just make yourself informed of what you're paying for. Weigh the pros and cons of what is worth your money. But, always enjoy what you wear. :)
Here are some of the products I use every day and LOVE:
Merle Norman Aqua Balance Foundation

Merle Norman Ultra Powder Foundation

Merle Norman Supreme Lash Mascara

Comments

  1. UPF will always smell like candy to me.. it's the best smell ever!! I miss working with you and playing in makeup all day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken Stir Fry

Father's day

Menu Monday