Oh, I have a blog?

Yes, I've been a little on the sparse side as far as posting goes. We'll chalk that up to installing new computers and accounting software at work. Busy week!

I really want to share a recipe but I'm not sure which to use! This week, I tried my hand at Chinese food. I found a recipe for really yummy fried rice on one of my favorite blogs. FAVE BLOG
She also gave a link to baked sweet and sour chicken.
All sounds pretty easy right? Especially for a seasoned pro like myself. All in all, it was easy. Just time consuming. I like cooking over baking because I can throw things together quickly. I know what flavors work and what methods to use to get amazing results in an acceptable amount of time. This recipe will probably go smoother the next time I make it, but, I will do prep work ahead of time to help myself out. (i.e. cube chicken the night before, possibly pre-make sauce, etc.)
Anyway, I am aware that you're able to follow a link and read recipes for yourself so I won't re-type what is up there on my fave blog. BUT, I'll tell you any additions or substitutions I made.

First, I used instant brown rice. Cooked it in my microwave according the instructions on the box, then I put it in my freezer while I made the chicken. Yes, my freezer. If you notice, the recipe says to use cold rice, made the day before. I didn't have the time to pre-cook my rice so my "flash freezing" method worked just fine.

I also omitted the bean sprouts. The ones I bought were fresh and apparently were on their last leg when I bought them so two days later when I wanted to make this, they were slimy and gross. SO, I used extra carrots instead.

My take on ginger and garlic: I'm all for fresh garlic. I use a garlic press. Love it. Fresh ginger annoys me. So I go with the ginger paste that comes in a tube. In my grocery store, it's located with the fresh herbs.

On to the chicken recipe (that is located here: Chicken)
I found that 1/4 cup of oil was A LOT. I didn't use more than a couple tablespoons.
And for the sauce, I used Splenda instead of sugar. There is no point wasting calories when you can have the same exact taste for so much less. The recipe also calls for vinegar. I thought to myself when making this "Um, just any old vinegar? There are so many to choose from!" So I stayed cultural and went with rice vinegar. I use it all the time and love it.

Ok well, everything else I did pretty much followed the recipes. It's just me and my hubby at home so I did half the rice recipe. I made the entire recipe of chicken. There was PLENTY left over still. When I re-heated the chicken, I did so in the oven on 400 for about 20 minutes so the chicken would crisp up. The rice, I heated in a skillet. Tasted just as good as the first night!

Enjoy your holiday weekend everyone! Remember to give thanks for the men and women that gave their lives so you are free to do whatever you want on this holiday weekend!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken Stir Fry

Father's day

Beauty day!